What is your primary X-Plane version?

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blender modeling I: Fuselage

The x-plane's plane maker supports exporting all parts to *.obj format so one can use them later to create more detailed replacements. However I found the mesh density not sufficient for further fine modeling. So I decided to create the fuselage from scratch. Prepared high resolution top and side view pics (from a  pdf downloaded from the DG's homepage). Blender base unit equals to 1 m so scaling and positioning of the background images was easy. To double check and comparsion I put original plane maker parts in other layer.

I decided to use 36 verticies for a fuselage section (compared to 16 from the plane maker). Sections spread is 0,2 m in most cases. Result looks as following:


Scaling the sections by X and Y axes however results in model that follows just max dimensions in the given view. Resulting section shape is more less elliptical. From looking at dozens of photos :) I found the DG1001 fuselage in cockpit area is not narrowing towards the bottom so steep as I get by simple scaling. Looking at several photos I figured out how it should  be approximately...


And here it is. The fuselage...


Next I'll continue with canopy. Some more serious modeling :)




1 comment:

  1. I am glad you use more vertices. A very high detailed interior and exterior will be much appreciated.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete