What is your primary X-Plane version?

Friday, November 11, 2011

If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry

This statement describes soaring at its best. Despite I'm fan of flying all my life, beauty of soaring discovered just recently. For years I thought that gliders can only sink and are used for training purposes only as low cost learning tool.
One year ago I was searching for news in world of virtual flying. With generic sims like FS or X-plane had just brief experience. I like when simulation is focused on one aircraft so it goes more into details. IMHO a benchmark for such sim can be considered DCS:Black Shark (Ka-50). In time of its release the level of simulation in this sim was just far far ahead of any available sim ever. Currently, there is next aircraft in DCS series availabe already. DCS:A-10. It is more modern aircraft with more systems to configure/manage. In the mean time, some other sims have been released or started to develope having such high fidelity sim level. Rise Of Flight is one of them. Another one interesting in developement is seven-g's F/A 18 Hornet. My searching key word was something like realistic flight model. Here I first time met the Condor a soaring simulator. Existing users are claiming that its flight model is outstanding. But it isn't so with its graphics. Actualy it looks like 10 or more years old graphical engine. I gave it a try. Learning the basics of gliding suddenly I found my self in new world where gliders can even climb! Have average travel speed above 100 km/h. Can reach distances like 1000, 2000 km and altitudes like any other plane. What's more there are competition-races all around the world. Literally races in air with no conventional engine. Waht a challenge! Condor sim allow its virtual pilots to taste this kind of challenge through PC. As a creative being I got interested to create some add planes for this sim. However found it no so easy as developers of the Condor do not allow 3rd parties to freely add any custom created planes. One can send them created 3D model and then maybe once it will be released in one of future plane packs. After about 6 years there are only 2 plane packs released (10 planes). Thus I redirected my creative needs to X-plane. It has a great potential to realize myself in glider modeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment